What is One Mizzou?
- One Mizzou is a student led initiative built around a desire to create a more purposefully inclusive campus community.
- One Mizzou’s goals:
- Building Community
- Embracing Diversity
- Cultivating an environment in which discrimination is not acceptable
- Increased cooperation between student groups, faculty, and administration to demonstrate a commitment to this mission
- Creating a culture of Respect and Responsibility
- Acceptance as the new norm
How did One Mizzou get started?
- There were two consecutive large scale racially charged incidents that occurred on the University of Missouri’s campus. Students, staff, faculty, and administrators came together, in February of 2011 and determined that there is a need for a proactive and positive diversity initiative on our campus.
- We also know that there are many racially charged incidents on our campus that go unreported and to help change this we need to build an inclusive campus community based on respect and responsibility.
What does One Mizzou have to do with athletics or relief for Joplin?
- The student led diversity initiative, One Mizzou isn’t directly related to either of these efforts.
What’s up with all the different One Mizzou logos?
- The One Mizzou logos that relate to the student led initiative look like this:
What can I do to support One Mizzou?
- Attend a program or event related to diversity and bring a friend.
- Keep an open dialogue between yourself and others on campus.
- If you liked an event you went to, learn more about the organization or office that sponsored the event.
- Get involved in a student organization.
- Get involved with one of the many offices or programs that Mizzou has to offer (several of which can be found here).